incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PMC] Proposed PMC List
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 18:38:35 GMT
On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/18/12 4:45 AM, Peter Junge wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>>> Datum: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 11:13:15 -0700
>>> Von: Andrew Rist <andrew.rist@oracle.com>
>>> An: ooo-dev <ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org>
>>> Betreff: [PMC] Proposed PMC List
>>

>>> Andre Fischer (af)
>>> Andrea Pescetti (pescetti)
>>> Drew Jensen (atjensen)
>>> Jürgen Schmidt (jsc)
>>> Kay Schenk (kschenk)
>>> Raphael Bircher (rbircher)
>>> Pedro Giffuni (pfg)
>>> Yang Shih-Ching (imacat)
>>> Oliver-Rainer Wittmann (orw)
>>> RGB.ES (rgb-es)
>>>

>> I would like to propose a different approach and determining the PMC in three steps.
Every step should take 72 hours, then compiling the results and starting the next step:

>> 1. Inclusive step
>> -----------------
>> We start by taking the latest proposed list (*) from the thread "Continue work on
a final PMC roster" (Juergen, Sept 6, 2012) that happened before on ooo-private@. (No reference
because not anyone can read the private archives).
>> That list already included 49 committers to be consider for the PMC. As well a couple
of 'non-included' persons and 'needs discussion' are listed.

>> During step 1. everybody is free to propose anyone to be added to the "is-included
list". IMHO, it doesn't matter if the additionally proposed persons are from 'non-included',
'needs discussion' or anyone else. Self-nomination should also be allowed.

>> At the end of step 1., we will have a list of 49 + X proposed PMC members that will
be used as input for step 2.

>> 2. Exclusive step 1
>> -------------------
>> We contact everyone who is included in the resulting list of step 1., if (s)he wants
to be part ob the AOO PMC. A reply is mandatory for anybody who wants to attend the PMC. Committers
need to express their interest on working on AOO governance. Persons who do not reply will
be excluded and of course all those who simply say: 'no'. After step 2. we will have a shorter
list that is then used as input for step 3.

>> 3. Exclusive step 2
>> -------------------
>> That will be the toughest step and certainly spark controversy again. Committers
may raise concerns who of the persons remaining after step 2. is not appropriate to attend
the AOO PMC. From my point of view, candidates shouldn't be removed with a single veto, but
every proposal for removal that finds supporters needs to be carried out.

>> The result of step 3. in a agreed-on list of PMC members.
>>
>> Please comment on my proposal. If there are no significant objections, I would draft
an initial posting for executing the above proposed procedure next weekend. Processing will
likely take about 2 weeks: 3x72h + a couple of days to compile results and moving forward
to the step in between.

> I think it is counterproductive that whenever we try to push the PMC
> roster selection process forward somebody comes up with a new proposal
> that she/he prefers over the others. Any attempt on ooo-private to
> continue the started selection process got interrupted by somebody for
> whatever reasons.

+1

A review of Buridan's Ass is in order:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buridan%27s_ass

We need to start eating more hay, and spend less time designing
equivalent bales of hay.

IMHO, of course.

-Rob