incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Call for comments: Webpage for Listing OpenOffice Consultants
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2012 23:28:08 GMT
On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:
> The policy implications may be broader than you've summarized below.
>
> I read the draft disclaimer and I like it. But I'm not convinced that a
> disclaimer is sufficient when Apache identifies people or companies who can
> help with AOO unless there is also a statement of our right, in our sole
> discretion, to remove any listing that does not conform to AOO community
> standards (whatever those are?).

On the wiki I suggest that abuse of ASF trademarks, in the listing or
on the linked website, would be something that would cause a listing
to be rejected.   Perhaps there are others.  We could leave it broader
-- "at the discretion of the PMC", but then it is harder to ensure
fairness (or in a dispute show that we are being fair) without defined
written criteria.

> Is there a standard by which you can remove someone from the list?

I think it would be easy to define a policy that makes it clear that
we may reject irrelevant (spammy) listings, obsolete listings,
technically erroneous listings (malformed logo files) and listings
that are abusing trademarks or implying an official relationship with
the project. Going further than that?  We could probably say that the
listings would need to comply with overall site guidelines, which
gives us broad ability to reject porn, copyright infringement, hate
speech, etc.

> Is this an opportunity for a job listing board rather than for Apache itself
> to manage?

Practice varies.  Some Apache projects list consultants on their
website or wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/OFBIZ/apache-ofbiz-service-providers.html

And some have a mailing list for those seeking consulting services.

But I think the listing approach works best for our audience.  It is
certainly what worked for us previously.

Regards,

-Rob