incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice Developer Room (devroom) at FOSDEM
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2012 14:52:06 GMT
On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12-09-24, at 07:59 , Jürgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 9/24/12 1:20 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>> FOSDEM, one of the biggest Free and Open Source Software events in
>>> Europe, is coming again on 2-3 February 2013 in Brussels.
>>>
>>> Attendance is free and, moreover, "Developer Rooms" can be made
>>> available upon request, but they must be requested before the end of
>>> September. See https://fosdem.org/2013/call_for_devrooms.html
>>>
>>> I'm available to draft the application for an OpenOffice devroom and
>>> post it here on ooo-dev for lazy consensus, unless:
>>> - Someone has already done it (just let us know)
>>> - Apache manages applications in a centralized way
>>> - No OpenOffice developers can attend (I would appreciate to know that
>>> we will have some full-time developers there)
>>> - People believe it is useless (but FOSDEM is a big event and we
>>> shouldn't miss it, since by February we will probably have graduated and
>>> version 3.5 could be approaching release).
>>>

>> OpenOffice was there present for many years and it can be of course an
>> opportunity to reach out to other open source developers there.
>
> fosdem is very important.
>>
>> Depending on the feedback of the organizers I can also think about a
>> joined devroom with the LibreOffice folks. Space for devrooms is limited
>> and I can of course think about a joined effort here. I am at least open
>> for this if wanted.
>
> We have previously thought and discussed this option, of a joint room. It'd be great,
I think, but also interesting to arrange. Given the realities, perhaps propose this idea but
also hold open the idea of a devroom specific to AOO? Previously, I had advocated this idea,
only to learn that TDF had also gone ahead with it—but there's room there, too, for collaboration.
Or, another option that relates interestingly to what we are doing at AOO that can be of wider
interest.

Perhaps it could be de-politicized a little more if the request is for
an "ODF Editors" room, and do with multilateral, with LO, Calligra,
AbiWord, Gnumeric, etc.

>> I will support any activities and will probably join the conference.
>> FOSDEM is a nice event and it makes always fun to meet so many open
>> source freaks. I can only recommend it from this perspective and it is
>> always on a weekend.
>>
>> Juergen
>>

> Fosdem is immensely important. It might also truly offer us here at AOO opportunity to
find means to collaborate with TDF/LibreOffice. Personally, I'd like something like that,
as I think we probably can help endusers better by such collaboration.