incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is a good Project Management Committee member?
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2012 15:05:55 GMT
On 6 September 2012 10:59, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/6/12 10:51 AM, Ian Lynch wrote:
>>
>>> I agree again and the question is how to find the strong PMC team. My thought
with my email was that the current PPMC members help actively by reflecting their own role.

> [...]
>> one circumstance might actually be stronger in that role than someone
>> else scoring themselves higher. You have to prioritise a fixed score
>> across the roles so it is your preferred role that scores highest not
>> necessarily something you are good at!

>> For me it is to provide help in any way I can within the constraints
>> of my obligations to the people I employ.

>> To be broadly useful, so that I make a small contribution to
>> displacing proprietary document standards with open royalty free
>> standards. I see AOO as strategically important in that aim.

>> My main area of interest is education and training. I hope to be able
>> to increase the spread of AOO through those channels but I can provide
>> advice and support for others in those fields. I also have some
>> expertise in writing EU and other grant applications so with that and
>> other business strategies I have a possibility of bringing further
>> development resources to the project.

>> Probably my status in other groups is higher in the main social
>> circles in which I operate. Most of my colleagues would not know what
>> a pmc was and few would know what Apache was apart from its native
>> american meaning. That is part of my dilemma. I have limited time to
>> work on the project except in areas that are complementary to other
>> work but there is scope for that.

>> To be honest, both :-) For me juggling time always provides pressure
>> so in that sense there are many competing burdens but of course all
>> have the privilege and satisfaction side too.

>> I think so but others could think differently a) Others might or might
>> not think what I have to offer is of value and b) I need flexibility
>> to fit it into other work. Since other people's employment depends
>> directly on me that has to have the priority.

>> Probably for the roles I am best suited to the technical aspect of
>> being a committer are not essential. While I have programming
>> experience it is a long time ago and it would take considerable time
>> for me to learn enough of the specific technicalities to make
>> meaningful code commitments. It's not impossible though and it is
>> possible that I could contribute on the web site, graphics or that
>> type of thing.

>> I have a lot of experience in management and a higher degree in it so
>> I guess I have relevant qualifications and experience and hope to be
>> able to put those to good use. Membership provides a focus to
>> encourage active involvement and enables me to then take opportunities
>> to help support the project where these arise. eg I'm working on
>> organising the openclipart library into logical categories as part of
>> an EU funded project. This could also be useful to AOO. It's not
>> always easy to predict exactly what opportunities arise until they do.
>>

> My intention was not really that people start answering the questions
> here on the list but more for themselves. Anybody should feel free to do
> it but I would like to make clear it is no must and demanded.

Sorry, I should have said I was just posting to give a specific
example not because I thought it mandatory. Some people like to see
concrete examples and probably I'm a bit different from "code
committers".  I am quite willing to accept I have some constraints and
limitations as a pmc member so just want to be open about it.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.