incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <>
Subject Re: What is a good Project Management Committee member?
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2012 07:52:40 GMT
On 7 September 2012 06:42, Dave Fisher <> wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2012, at 7:26 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> While the playing together metaphor is great, the orchestra metaphor breaks because
there is no conductor and no first chairs.

Why all the metaphors and analogies? Team building is a very
well-established and researched management issue. We don't need
analogies to support best practice in coding so why with management?
Let's not get side-tracked into analysing red herrings. What we need
is a management structure (or not) that is specifically focused on
what a pmc needs to achieve. It would be useful if a mentor could
provide guidance on any clear experience of what in their experience
has worked best and worst in the context of code development projects
at ASF.

Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications (The Schools ITQ) +44 (0)1827 305940