incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is a good Project Management Committee member?
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2012 15:31:47 GMT
On 6 September 2012 16:15, Phillip Rhodes <motley.crue.fan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
>> I see two things happening on this thread:  Creation of a laundry list for what a
PMC member should be.  A request for PPMC members to be introspective.

>> I suggest that there is a single issue that, if it were addressed instead, would
unlock appreciation of what needs to be introduced in order for the podling to graduate.

>> The feedback offered to us is that this podling has failed to demonstrate self-governance
(in the Apache Way of things), particularly with regard to healthy community building.  That's
the feedback.

>> It's not about technical skills, the quality of the code base, participation in various
activities, none of those things.

>> Here are two questions that should be for someone to answer about us:
>>
>>  1. What would be the visible evidence that the podling, with its PMC, is self-governing
and healthy, with strong fostering of a sustainable community?

>>  2. In what ways do PMC members demonstrate their commitment to creation and sustaining
of such a healthy self-governing project?

>> Here's one suggestion: Participants and contributors experience being welcome and
valued.

> Well said.  I agree, those are two primary points that need to be
> addressed.  Let's have some specificity here, so we can get to work
> making some progress.

1. Elect an interim Chair to direct the transition from PPMC to PMC -
the interim Chair does not need to be the prospective pmc Chair or
even necessarily a pmc member, just someone everyone trusts to conduct
the process impartially and inclusively.

2. Setting up a new thread here and getting off the private list seems
to be a good start ;-) I'd expect all prospective pmc members to show
some active part in this discussion otherwise what likelihood is there
that they will take an active part in any future pmc business?

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.