incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is a good Project Management Committee?
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 14:39:54 GMT
The Apache Way came up on the PMC list thread. Is the Apache Way
exclusively about certain types of merit and not about any other
factor or attribute? It seems from what mentors have written that
community is a big part of the Apache Way and merit in building the
community is important as well as the characteristics needed to
sustain a strong community. The acknowledged problem with merit is
that it is difficult to be sure how to measure it, it seems to be more
a consensus thing. If two community members have similar merit and
there is only one place on the PMC, what determines which one is
chosen? We can't determine merit to a high degree of measured
precision. It is a strawman argument to say someone will be included
on the PMC without merit, that has never been a consideration. If we
assume all members of the PMC have appropriate merit, other
considerations will come into play and it seems to me that that has no
conflict with the Apache Way.
--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940