incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Clipart library
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2012 10:39:16 GMT
On 10 September 2012 08:01, Shenfeng Liu <liushenf@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/9/10 J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@gmail.com>
>
>> On 9/9/12 11:36 PM, Ian Lynch wrote:

Ian Lynch

>> <javascript:;>>

>> <javascript:;>>

We could
>> use

>> users to

>> more
>> integration
>> an

>> we

>> OpenClipart.org
).
>> While
>>  with
>> compliant
>> There
>> trying

) Who

>> social,
>> future

>> the interim, I'll capture a clipart social scenario.
>> >
>> > I have put the sorted clip art in a zip file in my public drop box folder
>> >
>> > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1115462/casource.zip
>> >
>> > Snag is it is 360 meg! So not sure what is the best approach for
>> > dealing with it. Could probably do with further sorting but at least
>> > there is a good start so anyone could refine it to their particular
>> > needs much more quickly than starting from scratch.
>>
>> I think we probably don't want bundle it with AOO directly. I can think
>> of an extended gallery implementation where it is possible to hook
>> online galleries as well.
>>

> +1 (for Clipart as well as Template). AOO should provide a kind of
> capability (with extensions) to easily search or browse the online
> resources. It is another perspective of Cloud/Social Integration value.
>
> - Simon
>

>> Ok in case of OpenClipart it raises the question how it should be
>> organized/presented to our users. But allowing access to the online
>> resources will guarantee that we are up-to-date.
>>

>> Juergen

I was looking at LibreO implementation of OpenClipart in the gallery.
Its organised by author name so that doesn't seem to me very helpful.
I have been talking to the OpenClipart.org people and what I had was
an old archive - the most up to date is over 1 Gig compressed. That is
far too big to include in a standard distribution download although it
could be incorporated with a DVD distribution. The snag with an
on-line only library is that it will raise a barrier to some people.
So maybe consider a smaller subset of the most popular images in a
"standardised set" of gallery themes. 50 would be able to cover a wide
range of the most popular topics. AOO only comes with 4 populated
graphics themes and 1 sound. Let's say 5 meg of images distributed
across those themes and maybe then people can add to those themes
having got a start. They can always add or remove themes as they like.
We could devise an "up date" themes option that would then provide the
option to select further images from an on-line source, perhaps
openclipart.org itself and automatically filter them into the
appropriate galleries or access them as needed on-line.

Next job I'll do is define 50 themes and populate them with some of
the most popular images to see how that pans out. Even if we don't use
this with the main download, a distribution project (if we get one
going) could produce a DVD iso for down load with a set of extras not
included in the basic distribution download like with the old OOo
distribution project.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940