incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Specific actions needed for developing the community
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2012 13:48:33 GMT
On 7 September 2012 14:06, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> Top posting because we have a specific ecosystem issue that needs handling - distribution.
>
> In the former OOo days companies, groups and individuals could become community distributors.
They could make use of logos and CD labels and package their own version of OOo. These still
exist. I see you responded to one from filepuma today.

> Now that the OOo trademark is at the ASF the rules must change. How do we reach out to
these distributors to guide them into compliance. The PPMC has not handled it well. The results
from waiting for people to come, ask the right questions, listen to the answers and then apply
them needs to be managed. Very early in this podling's history Martin from Team OOo did come
and ask, he got answers, but failed to listen to the whole answer, went off and did what was
done. This caused a huge problem.

> Like our Mentors I had no prior relationship to OOo, and lacked an understanding of the
specific players within the whole ecosystem. Louis is certainly someone with a sense of it
and it sure would be great to move forward and create a clear outreach with accessible and
clear instructions on this change.

I'm willing to help, but I don't think I'm the best fit for the role
because Louis is much better known and a better fit for what is
essentially a point of reference. It will make it much easier for
others monitoring the lists if they know these types of queries will
get followed up and there is some consistency in the point of contact.
--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.