incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Clipart library
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2012 09:57:22 GMT
On 12 September 2012 19:35, Regina Henschel <rb.henschel@t-online.de> wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
> Ian Lynch schrieb:

>>> this is very nice, thanks for the info
>>

>> I tried to drag an odg drawing into the gallery and it didn't work.
>> That seems strange. I expected odg would be the first filetype to be
>> accepted - am I missing something? (ok don't say a brain ;-) )
>>

> What do you try? I don't understand "drag an odg drawing into the gallery".

Hi Regina,

Sorry, I'll try to  give better information.

I'm using AOO 3.4.0 on Ubuntu 12.04.

I open up Writer and the gallery window. I go to a filer window and
find a .png or .svg file and drag it from the filer window to the
gallery window and the file images appear in the gallery. I open the
svg file in Draw and save it back as a .odg file and it appears in the
filer window. I then drag the .odg file from the filer window to the
gallery and it doesn't accept it. It seems strange to me that the
gallery accepts .png and .svg direct imports like this but not files
in the native format of AOO.

> If you have a Draw document opened and drag an object (oval, star, 3D-scene)
> from the edit window to the gallery, that should work without problems.
>
> Or do you try to drag an odg-document from your file manager to the gallery?
> I would not expect, that it works, because it is a complete document and not
> only the part, which contains a single object.

So why does it work with a .svg file? I have one that is complex with
a mixture of raster and vector components and it goes straight in.

If I wanted to take a selection of clip art from my filer into AOO
gallery, dragging and dropping the files from the filer window is
quick and easy as well as intuitive to the average user. In practice I
can see that this might be more likely with .svg, png and jpg files as
they are much more common than .odg. However, that then begs the
question of why we have a .odg format at all and don't just use .svg.
(Ok I know its a lot of work to do that but in principle).

It's a bit of a dilemma with using the OpenClipart library because
ideally all the images would be editable. The only real way to
guarantee that is to fully support svg. In terms of distribution
bandwidth, simple clip art in vector files take up very little space
so bundling a reasonable selection of arrows symbols etc in the main
distribution would be possible without increasing the size of the
download very much. Our average Windows user is going to be a lot
happier seeing at least some of these things on first installation
from the download.

My take on bloat is that if it makes things more complex to use or
slows down day to day operations it is a high priority to avoid it
because of its affect on the user experience. If it makes things
easier to use and only has the effect of a marginal increase in
download size it might well be that the benefits in encouraging wider
take up outweigh that specific disadvantage, especially as high speed
connections are more and more common. If a file of 135 Meg can be
downloaded OK, one of 140 or 150 is not going to make a significant
difference. For that reason I think we should provide more ready
usable clip art in the gallery and make it easy and intuitive as
possible to add more. If that principle is accepted the question then
is how much and in what format?

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940