incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Clipart library
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:00:25 GMT
On 10 September 2012 12:26, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/10/12 12:39 PM, Ian Lynch wrote:

Ian Lynch

categories. We could
AOO.

the open clip art

People,
Once we have

In

>>> +1 (for Clipart as well as Template). AOO should provide a kind of
>>> capability (with extensions) to easily search or browse the online
>>> resources. It is another perspective of Cloud/Social Integration value.
>>>
>>> - Simon

>> I was looking at LibreO implementation of OpenClipart in the gallery.
>> Its organised by author name so that doesn't seem to me very helpful.
>> I have been talking to the OpenClipart.org people and what I had was
>> an old archive - the most up to date is over 1 Gig compressed. That is
>> far too big to include in a standard distribution download although it
>> could be incorporated with a DVD distribution. The snag with an
>> on-line only library is that it will raise a barrier to some people.
>> So maybe consider a smaller subset of the most popular images in a
>> "standardised set" of gallery themes. 50 would be able to cover a wide
>> range of the most popular topics. AOO only comes with 4 populated
>> graphics themes and 1 sound. Let's say 5 meg of images distributed
>> across those themes and maybe then people can add to those themes
>> having got a start. They can always add or remove themes as they like.
>> We could devise an "up date" themes option that would then provide the
>> option to select further images from an on-line source, perhaps
>> openclipart.org itself and automatically filter them into the
>> appropriate galleries or access them as needed on-line.
>
> we should then start with working on this, shouldn't we. We have for
> example some nice new galleries available from Symphony that we can
> integrate easily. And the next step is to define how online galleries
> could be integrated. For example favorite images can be stored locally
> to provide offline usage etc. or you can mark images as favorites to
> easy navigate over them even in a big online gallery. Many open
> questions how it can be integrated best without breaking the user
> experience.
>

>> Next job I'll do is define 50 themes and populate them with some of
>> the most popular images to see how that pans out. Even if we don't use
>> this with the main download, a distribution project (if we get one
>> going) could produce a DVD iso for down load with a set of extras not
>> included in the basic distribution download like with the old OOo
>> distribution project.
>
> The question is how it is integrated in the office. Do you want to make
> it available as one big extension or 1 oxt for every theme? Both is fine
> for me but I would keep as extensions and not bundled.

Talking with the OpenClipart people they have direct links from OC.o
to Inkscape. I'm wondering if that is a better or complementary
approach? Do we want dependency on the OC.o project or keep
independence? If they organise under a different set of theme titles
will that cause confusion? If we call a theme "Halloween" or "Ghosts"
there will be overlap. Its the snag with searching on the svg
metadata, its not always obvious from the graphic title what it is or
whether it is useful. Scanning a page of images and picking one by eye
can be easier and it seems to me that AOO users used to the gallery
and themes will be more used to that approach. That's why I was
thinking about a combination. More gallery themes with a selection of
images immediately available as soon as you install the basic download
but with options to either add to that or link to the OC.org full
database and search it from within AOO. Defining a new set of gallery
themes and adding some images is easy. I can do that. Programming
links to OC.o is more complicated and beyond what I could do and also
depends to an extent on that project.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940