incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Clipart library
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 09:19:13 GMT
On 17 September 2012 22:16, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 4:51 AM, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm organising the Open clipart library into categories. We could use
>> this then as a useful resource to complement AOO. Any thoughts about
>> the best way to implement making the categorised library available to
>> the community?
>>

> Taxonomies are limiting, especially if a given clipart can live in
> only one place.  Tagging is more flexible.  And searching is even more
> so.
>
> I noticed they have a REST API for searching OCAL, which is based on
> text queries, e.g.:
>
> http://openclipart.org/api/search/?query=trombone&page=1
>
> So one option might be to have a smaller, curated set of
> top-quality/most-commonly-used clipart pre-included in the install,
> but then also have an in-product interface for searching the complete
> online collection.  Could also allow searching of other public domain
> image sources, including Flickr Common, Wikipedia, etc.

That is exactly what I had in mind. For none technical users, seeing
some images in the gallery on installation provides confidence apart
from anything else. Few casual users will know how to use the search
facilities on OCAL and many would not even know what OCAL was. It
really has to be intuitive and simple for the most limited end users
:-). The quickest and simplest start is to provide a simple set on
install. Then look at adding search to the user interface. Snag I'm
thinking about at the moment is that ideally the curated included set
would be vectors but most are in .svg not .odg format so we lose the
editing which is a key reason to have them as vectors. We could just
use png but that's not ideal. Longer term it would be better for AOO
to support svg fully, but that is a big job.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.