incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][PMC] Proposed PMC List
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 09:49:02 GMT
On 20 September 2012 07:45, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
> RGB ES wrote:
>>
>> 2012/9/19 Dennis E. Hamilton
>>>
>>> I recommend that the process continue.  My only objection is that having
>>> secret nominations is not compatible with the Apache Way ...
>>>
>>> I recommend that no one accept nominations privately and that those who
>>> have already sent theirs via any back-channel use ooo-private
>

> OK. The important thing is that the process can continue. It might well be
> that nobody prefers to state his preferences in private (meaning: somewhere
> else than ooo-dev): as I wrote, it was not a personal concern, I just
> wondered if allowing it would increase participation in this nomination
> phase (and at the same time I encouraged those, if any, who preferred secret
> nominations/lists to speak up, and nobody did so far, which probably means I
> was simply wrong and everybody is fine with public nominations/lists).
>

>> +1 (Even if I see no point on hiding the vote).
>

> I was going to answer that secret ballot is a basic principle, but indeed,
> now that I think about it, it might be that there is no such thing as a
> "secret ballot" in the Apache way, at least for normal operations...
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html does not mention this
> possibility.

AFAIK that applies to code and releases only, not people.

Once a PMC exists, new members must be nominated and discussed on the
private@tlp list.
Votes are held on the private list, so is not secret, but it is not
public either.

ASF members are nominated on the members list (and in members-only files).
ASF member voting is secret.

Board members are nominated on the members list.
Voting is secret.