incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Reinvigorate extension authors community
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2012 13:22:37 GMT
KG01 - See comments inline.

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 2:50 AM, Albino B Neto <bino28@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> > appdev@incubator.apache.org if we prefer).  I'll assert that the
> > current mailing lists are inadequate for encouraging this community to
> > thrive.  If they interact on ooo-dev then they are bombarded with 99%
> > irrelevant posts, and if they gather on ooo-users then this will be
> > disruptive to the end-user subscribers there.  Extension authors
> > really are a distinct sub-community of their own.
>
> I agree.
>
> Demand for emails here on ooo-dev is great, a specific list for
> API/extension will be better.
>
> > 2) Promote the mailing list via the usual means:  website, social
> > networking, maybe a blog post.
> >
> > 3) Try to contact the existing extension authors, to encourage them to
> > joint the list.  I'd try to do this via SourceForge initially, since
> > they might already have the means to send them all an email.
> >
> > 4) Promote AOO extension development in general, by interviews of
> > extension authors, blog posts, perhaps even a rotating spot on our
> > website featuring an "extension of the week" (or day).

KG01 - I say will integrate the extension experience within the editors.
Start pages and docked task panes could promote extensions and drive
traffic to extension marketplace/downloadplace/place where we keep them ;)
Furthermore, we could create an integrated extension manager that actually
allows users to browse, select and enable extensions, just like an iTunes
app store or the Evernote trunk. The goal would be to keep users in the AOO
tools and bring the extensions to them - on demand. This would scale well
to support any effort to reduce the footprint and surface advanced
capabilites via extensions.