incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Phillip Rhodes <motley.crue....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is a good Project Management Committee member?
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2012 15:15:30 GMT
On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
> I see two things happening on this thread:  Creation of a laundry list for what a PMC
member should be.  A request for PPMC members to be introspective.

> I suggest that there is a single issue that, if it were addressed instead, would unlock
appreciation of what needs to be introduced in order for the podling to graduate.

> The feedback offered to us is that this podling has failed to demonstrate self-governance
(in the Apache Way of things), particularly with regard to healthy community building.  That's
the feedback.

> It's not about technical skills, the quality of the code base, participation in various
activities, none of those things.

> Here are two questions that should be for someone to answer about us:
>
>  1. What would be the visible evidence that the podling, with its PMC, is self-governing
and healthy, with strong fostering of a sustainable community?

>  2. In what ways do PMC members demonstrate their commitment to creation and sustaining
of such a healthy self-governing project?

> Here's one suggestion: Participants and contributors experience being welcome and valued.

Well said.  I agree, those are two primary points that need to be
addressed.  Let's have some specificity here, so we can get to work
making some progress.

Phil