incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Whytock <dwhyt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: BItTorrents -- do we care?
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 16:04:19 GMT
One good thing about bittorrent is that it's less dependent on a
single source.  There has to be at least one primary seed, but once
the packet's out there a client has less need to reach that primary
seed.  A download manager may be able to handle resuming interrupted
downloads (if the host is), but it's still dependent on being able to
reach a single source.

It would be great if the various Apache mirrors could all be
bittorrent seeders.  I'm vaguely surprised this isn't the case.

Don

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 11:21 PM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 19:13:24 -0400
>> Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I've recently seen a few requests for ability to download AOO via a
>>> torrent. something we do not currently provide.
>>>
>>> I see that OOo did this for legacy versions:
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/p2p/
>>>
>>> According to the scripts on this page, it looks like it was run by a
>>> "Mike" in the Netherlands (http://borft.student.utwente.nl/~mike).
>>>
>>> Is this worth doing for AOO?  Is this critical for any class of user?
>>> Or just "nice to have"?
>>>
>>> I'm willing to help seed the torrents if we think there is a definite
>>> need for this.  We'd want a few other volunteers willing to do this as
>>> well.  Of course, ideally we'd have the torrent seeded by an existing
>>> mirror, but that may not be possible.
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>>

>> From time to time on the Forum there are reports from frustrated posters of repeated
bad downloads; these are usually solved after they are recommended to switch  to a torrent
download.  Remember that in some areas of the world communications are still limited to modem
downloads over bad lines. If it is reasonably possible to provide torrents, then we should
do so.