incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Whytock <>
Subject Re: Torrent connection for AOo 3.4.x download
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 15:08:47 GMT
It's more than cool.  A proper torrent client is a step up from an
ordinary download manager in that it's tolerant of both poor
connections and instances of blocked paths to a specific connection.
It doesn't resume interrupted downloads as much as handle downloads in
whatever quantities it can get.

I have a cable modem in a Washington DC area suburb, and yet my
connection's sufficiently flaky that torrenting works better than
direct-downloading, even with a download manager.  I assume a lot of
the world isn't as well-connected as me.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Fernando Cassia <> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 8:10 AM, Raphael Bircher <> wrote:
>> But I could ask my brother if he is willing to setup a torrent tracker
>> for us. He was working on the torrent at the old OOo project.
>> I'm willing to host a seeding peer
> Wouldn´t this impact on the tracking of downloads? I mean... the
> SourceForge download stats will no longer be the true download count.
> How would Apache track torrent downloads and add the numbers to the
> stats?.
> I think this is a valid concern...
> Plus, torrents are good to save on bandwidth, but lack of bandwidth
> with´s network of world-wide mirrors doesn´t seem to be the
> case here. So, again, why the need for a torrent?. "because it´s cool"
> doesn´t hold, IMHO...
> FC

View raw message