incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@oooes.org>
Subject Re: Change of 'soffice' name
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2012 07:02:55 GMT
On 9/26/12, Joost Andrae <Joost.Andrae@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Alexandro,
>
> soffice is an established file name for the binary. If there is a clash
Yes, question is if this can be change? Is there is any desire to keep
referencing to staroffice? would user be benefit or confused by
changing it to openoffice.bin or openoffice.exe?

> with LO's naming scheme then why should AOO change the name? It's LO
> that abandoned the name OpenOffice....

I was addressing this as a user issue not trying to get into a libo/oo
discussion.

> And if you take a look at the naming scheme of the API sun/star/... this
> is something you cannot change that easily.

I agree, I remember when Oracle did that to Java and broke it on some
apps. The question should be to what degree this change is possible
without breaking the builds big time.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice