incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@oooes.org>
Subject Re: BItTorrents -- do we care?
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 00:28:04 GMT
On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> I've recently seen a few requests for ability to download AOO via a
> torrent. something we do not currently provide.
>
> I see that OOo did this for legacy versions:
> http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/p2p/
>
> According to the scripts on this page, it looks like it was run by a
> "Mike" in the Netherlands (http://borft.student.utwente.nl/~mike).
>
> Is this worth doing for AOO?  Is this critical for any class of user?
> Or just "nice to have"?

Bittorrent has its values such as protect privacy for the user and also
allows to serve big files. Althought AOO is not too big by nowadays
internet, it could be an advantage for bandwith sensitive regions, or high
latency.

That said, I don't know many people coming writing in to thank us for the
P2P alternative. AFAIK.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice