incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Wolf Halton <wolf.hal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Change of 'soffice' name
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2012 15:59:59 GMT
On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:14 AM, RGB ES <rgb.mldc@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/9/26 J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@gmail.com>
>
>> On 9/26/12 8:48 AM, Joost Andrae wrote:
>> > Hi Alexandro,
>> >
>> > soffice is an established file name for the binary. If there is a clash
>> > with LO's naming scheme then why should AOO change the name? It's LO
>> > that abandoned the name OpenOffice....
>> > And if you take a look at the naming scheme of the API sun/star/... this
>> > is something you cannot change that easily.
>> >
>> > Kind regards, Joost
>>

>> the point is simply that more stuff and functionality is depending on
>> this name. And if we consider to change it we have to collect all this
>> stuff first and should work on a reliable migration plan.
>>

> +1. At least on Linux, the "conflict" between AOO and LibO comes from
> distro packaging: you can install both, AOO and the official LibO side by
> side without problems.
>
> Just for curiosity: is it possible to put a second launch script, so you
> can start the program with both, soffice and, for example, aoo?
>
> Regards
> Ricardo
>

>> I see at the moment no pressure to work on this and we have much more
>> important things to do. But feel free to start and keep us informed. And
>> before we do any real changes on the name in the code please inform us
>> about your finding and the migration plan. It's important that we don't
>> break things and avoid confusion where possible.
>>
>> Juergen

It might be as simple as changing a single stanza in the launch script
that could check for other soffice installations in the system and
either push the Apache OpenOffice install to a different install
prefix or just force a different /usr/bin/<symbolic-link>  The latter
is a simple thing that shouldn't require changing any of the binary
names, since a symbolic link can have any name you want.  I suspect
there would need to be a small adjustment in the Linux menu
integration, but it is very likely that you wouldn't need to change
anything there.  I have not looked into it yet because I just
uninstalled LibreOffice before installing Apache OpenOffice. That
option is not scalable, and people get annoyed when softwares go to
war against one another, as would be the effect if OpenOffice just
removed LO when it was installed.   I will look into a more scalable
and friendly option.

--
Wolf Halton
Open-Source Software in Libraries - http://FOSS4Lib.org