incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] [PMC] Proposed PMC List
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 10:42:12 GMT
On 25 September 2012 11:22, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 3:40 AM, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 25 September 2012 06:15, imacat <imacat@mail.imacat.idv.tw> wrote:
>>>     I feel honored to be listed.  I would like to help PMC if there is a
>>> chance.
>>>
>>>     In any case, I suggest at least one female should be included in the
>>> PMC, to encourage the contribution of females in the community and bring
>>> diverse voices in PMC.  It is very important to encourage more and more
>>> female contributors to join the community, and make them feel that
>>> OpenOffice is theirs', not of some male geeks.
>>
>> +1 broad representation is important.
>>

> IMHO this is a bad idea and if we go down this route it demonstrates
> that we do not understand The Apache Way.

I don't think the idea of actively seeking broad representation is
necessarily counter to the Apache Way. It depends on exactly how that
representation is achieved.

> The PMC *is not* representative. The PMC is inclusive of *all that
> show merit* for the things that the PMC is responsible for.  To have a
> PMC based on representation suggests that members are included for
> things other than merit, or that other potential members are excluded
> based on representation concerns regardless of their demonstrated
> merit.  Both are wrong.

I agree both are wrong.

On the other hand I really hope that Imacat and others seek to address
the issue of
inclusion of all. Such work is, in itself, worthy of merit yet is
often not recognised as such in software projects like those here in
the ASF.

Similarly, activities that limit the participation of others can
destroy a project community. This can happen either intentionally
(such behaviours have no place in an ASF project) or unintentionally
(in which case such behaviours need to be corrected by the community).
It's this latter situation that can be very hard to manage. It raises
the question of does adherence to and enforcement of the code of
conduct trump technical merit?

[ASIDE: the Community Development PMC, dev@community.apache.org, are
always looking to make the ASF more welcoming to all. There are some
useful experiences there and the PMC is always looking for other
ideas]

Ross