incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: [REQUEST] Apache OpenOffice (incubating) - fund allocation for ACEU 2012
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2012 15:34:20 GMT

ApacheCon EU (ACEU) 2012 - see the corresponding thread on ooo-dev@i.a.o [1].

>> We are currently discussing the granting processes - see [2].
>>
>> The purpose of this post is to assure ASF's charity status and to clarify the actual
spending of the money regarding our planned fund allocation.
>> We want to spend the following money for ACEU 2012 participants from the Apache OpenOffice
(incubating) community:
>> - 10 x 300/600 EUR for travel expense subsidy
>> - 30 x 100 EUR for ticket discounts for non-committers
>>
>> Questions regarding assurence of charity status:
>> (1) Do the planned spendings violate our charity status?
>
> I'm not the person to definitively answer this -- I believe this has to do with legal@
too, luckily
> the VP, Legal is also on the treasurer list :) so he can help decide if there needs to
be a legal@
> CC here. To my knowledge though, I think that you already have approval to proceed based
on
> old discussions I saw regarding this topic on board@, and also based on Ross Gardler
being a
> board@ guy and Apache OO mentor and bringing this up too.

I don't speak for the board, however, the board did approve the
principle of using SPI money for this. I've checked with Jim as
President and he confirms that he see's no problem. The treasurer list
was copied on that communication and I reported it back to the ooo-dev
list. In summary, I believe we are good to go (said with my EVP hat
since Jim spoke with his Pres hat so it's my problem if this is bad
information)

>> (2) What do we need to consider in our planned granting processes to assure our charity
status?

> I think the most important thing is to make sure that the process is traceable and auditable,
IIRC.

That is correct. We should also add fair and non-discriminatory. The
applications process and evaluation process needs to be public (I'm
assuming this is not a needs based evaluation, if it is needs based it
will be more complex as privacy is also necessary).

>> Questions regarding actual spending of the money:
>> (1) Is it possible to spend the "ticket discount" money via a special promotion code
in the ACEU 2012 ticket system?

> Not sure about this :) The ApacheCon folks, or Mellissa, our EA, would probably be
> good people to ask, so I've CC'ed Melissa here.

Yes, it is possible. What we need to know (send to planners@apachecon.com) is:

- ticket name
- discount code
- discount level