incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: News article integration with home page
Date Sat, 29 Sep 2012 16:24:06 GMT
On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
<arielch@apache.org>wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 10:12:25AM -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> > What makes this different from our other SSI uses is we need to limit
> > the number of articles displayed.   We want to avoid having an
> > open-ended list of articles appear on the home page, since that would
> > just length the page and put the important footer info far down.  It
> > would be ugly as well.  So ideally we want some logic that puts the
> > 5 or so most recent stories on the home page, and then puts the full
> > list of articles on the dedicated news page.  Or maybe even does
> > something fancier, like group articles by month or year on the news
> > page.  But minimum requirement is probably to be able to limit number
> > of articles on home page.
> >
> > Is this something that is easy/possible to do with the way we're using
> > the CMS?

Well it would be done with the CSS "frame" idea I mentioned.  So we could
limit the initial length. and basically enwble a scrolling like approach..

> the main Apache site uses a module to generate the "News",
> http://openejb.apache.org/ too.

Ariel --

Thanks for pointing this out. This approach was mentioned in that  same
chat I had concerning ssi, but I couldn't readily find any additional
information. So, I'll take a look when I get a moment.

and ...

@Dave, re ssi. I know we use these for the header portion but I also
realize this is a like a one time thing that basically only happens at site
build (commit, publish) and is not a continual dynamic parse like enabling
ssi for the site would be, right? There seemed to be concern about the
overhead for ssi on a continual basis, even with specifying say an ".shtml"
extension. Plus, the concern about enabling this for such limited use.

Anyway, if we could do this via the CMS for "occasional" news items, ti
would be better I guess.

More investigation needed...

> See
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/site/trunk/newsfeed/README.txt
> It seems the DEFAULT_FEED_LOCATION is set to
> http://blogs.apache.org/foundation/feed/entries/rss , see
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/site/trunk/newsfeed/src/org/apache/site/Newsfeed.java
>

> Regards
> --
> Ariel Constenla-Haile
> La Plata, Argentina

MzK

"Just 'cause you got the monkey off your back
 doesn't mean the circus has left town."
                    -- George Carlin