incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Juan C. Sanz" <juancsa...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [User Docs] What do we as a community want for user documentation or AOO
Date Sun, 23 Sep 2012 11:14:45 GMT
El 23/09/2012 6:41, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak escribió:
> Disclaimer: I am tired, I don't feel well, and I did not follow the
> precursors in detail, so this is the tired faulty memories of me.
>
> On 09/22/2012 05:17 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
>> <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
>>> I am not clear what the lazy consensus is about.
>>>
>>> Clearly, there is no restriction on anyone contributing to User
>>> Guides for Apache OpenOffice on ODFAUthors, beyond the
>>> terms/conventions/what-ever that apply to contributions there.
>>>
>>> So I suppose what is being asked for is consensus that there will
>>> not, at this time, be any separate effort inside of the Apache
>>> OpenOffice project and the project will look to relying on the
>>> ODFAuthors site for emergence of updated User Guides. Contributions
>>> should be made there.
>>>
>> In other words, that a non-existent effort in the project not be
>> started to compete with the non-existent effort at ODFAuthors? IMHO
>> this not the ideal use of lazy consensus.  You should seek lazy
>> consensus for what you want to do, not what you want someone else not
>> to do.   In the end, if someone came to the project with documentation
>> to contribute, I think we would be happy accept it under ALv2 and not
>> turn them away and tell them to go elsewhere.  Or are you suggesting
>> that we would reject such contributions?
>
> This is my understanding, which may be completely wrong:
>
> 1. I thought that ODF Authors operated independently of Libre (LO) or
> Apache (AOO).
>
> 2. ODF Authors was creating documentation for both LO and AOO.
>
> 3. Not many people were contributing to the documentation from the AOO
> camp.
>
> 4. A request was made for help (probably from Jean).
>
> 5. There were no positive responses and some that sounded a bit
> negative (this is where my memory is really fuzzy). I think it was
> something like.... not on our radar yet, focusing on other stuff, find
> your own people to do it. (was it Rob that said that??)
>
> 6. Primary ODF lead stopped working on AOO documentation.
>
> I assumed that Scenario 2 likely kept the resulting documentation at
> ODF Authors. It would be difficult to move it without some level of
> approval for them to license it with something that Apache would allow
> (although I vaguely remember seeing that perhaps this has been done).
>
>>> In other words, there won't be any forking of ODFAuthors work into
>>> the project.  I assume that means avoidance of duplicate effort as
>>> well.
>>>
>>> I'm aligned with that direction.
>>>
>>>   - Dennis

AFAIK at ODFAuthors there were (there are) two different branches, one
for LO and another for AOO, and the only related thing between them were
the authors and the origin of both branches (OOo 3.3 documentation). I
think the branches were created because it was difficult to maintain one
documentation for both products because the increasing differences.