incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][PMC] Proposed PMC List
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 03:19:39 GMT

On 12-09-19, at 17:05 , Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:

> I don't object to this process. But lets be clear, PMC membership is
> *not* a popularity contest, it's a recognition of merit. So the number
> of nominations is irrelevant, more nominations just means that the
> individual has been seen by more people. Sometimes merit stuff is not
> visible to many, e.g. I know how much effort some members of this PPMC
> have put into the AOO track at ACEU, most of that work is invisible
> here so only one or two people will recognise that merit.

It's interesting to me that what counts as "merit" is necessarily ill defined. "necessarily"
because I should think it is up to the emerging PMC or governing group to define. So, as Ross
underscores with his example of the ACEU (ApacheCon EU) that it is not just about coding;
merit can be gained and meritorious work be identified, by non-coding activity, as managing
the ACEU evidences.

What counts, as I see it, is promoting the ApacheOO effort. That entails, I believe, not just
the coding that is needed to make an application that can be used safely, confidently, surely
by enterprises and individuals around the world, but also in actually promoting that application
and its use among likely users.

"Merit" here is valued in terms of your contribution to the project overall.

It's for that reason that I feel it important that people who would want to contribute and
help in managing the project understand the radically democratic nature of this project and
its management. This is not the old OOo. This is new.

> This is not an objection to the process being followed, just an
> objection to the idea that the number of "nominations" is important.
>
> Ross

Louis