incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moderating ooo-private
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2012 01:29:34 GMT
Hi

On 12-09-15, at 21:17 , tj <tj@apache.org> wrote:

> On 9/15/2012 17:51, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>>
>> On 12-09-15, at 11:34 , "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>>
>>> With regard to inappropriate messages to ooo-private, I agree that it is a good
idea to provide better information and to discourage the use of ooo-private for this kind
of traffic.  I think one problem is that some folks want their request to be personal and
all think they are (or want to be) reaching a support organization.

>> yes.
>>>
>>> I conducted an experiment to see how the list rejects messages.  The bounce I
received is the message immediately below.  The original request to ooo-private was returned
in an attachment.  That is attached to this message but I don't know that it will be preserved
on ooo-dev.  What that message is like is posted below the Rejection Message.

>> Peter can probably speak to this, too, but when I was doing this kind of list and
many others at OOo, I received routinely a lot of posts to webmasters@, usually by people
wanting to communicate with a Turing-competent entity, like me, or even better.  They reached
that list/alias via contacts@. No matter what we wrote on that page, no matter how they were
redirected to the Support page—no matter what, short of Moses and some tablets—they did
what I do when confronted with voicemail and sought humanity in an electron.

>> So it goes.
>>
>> Lesson: live with it but try all the same.
>>
>> Louis
>
> Hi, Louis,
>
> IIRC, I wrote to Webmaster@oo.o, about a glitch on a web page. I got a polite little
reply from a fellow whose name I recognized from the Council listing. I was just another user,
then; I was very impressed. My point is that these contacts do serve a purpose, at least occasionally.

was probably me or possibly John or Florian… Sophie also did a lot of work there.

> Hope this makes our hard-working monitors feel better.

Thanks. It does :-)

Louis