incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: News article integration with home page
Date Sat, 29 Sep 2012 20:24:01 GMT

On Sep 29, 2012, at 9:24 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
> <arielch@apache.org>wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 10:12:25AM -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> What makes this different from our other SSI uses is we need to limit
>>> the number of articles displayed.   We want to avoid having an
>>> open-ended list of articles appear on the home page, since that would
>>> just length the page and put the important footer info far down.  It
>>> would be ugly as well.  So ideally we want some logic that puts the
>>> 5 or so most recent stories on the home page, and then puts the full
>>> list of articles on the dedicated news page.  Or maybe even does
>>> something fancier, like group articles by month or year on the news
>>> page.  But minimum requirement is probably to be able to limit number
>>> of articles on home page.
>>>
>>> Is this something that is easy/possible to do with the way we're using
>>> the CMS?
>>

> Well it would be done with the CSS "frame" idea I mentioned.  So we could
> limit the initial length. and basically enwble a scrolling like approach..
>

>> the main Apache site uses a module to generate the "News",
>> http://openejb.apache.org/ too.
>>

> Ariel --
>
> Thanks for pointing this out. This approach was mentioned in that  same
> chat I had concerning ssi, but I couldn't readily find any additional
> information. So, I'll take a look when I get a moment.
>
> and ...
>
> @Dave, re ssi. I know we use these for the header portion but I also
> realize this is a like a one time thing that basically only happens at site
> build (commit, publish) and is not a continual dynamic parse like enabling
> ssi for the site would be, right?

Correct.

> There seemed to be concern about the
> overhead for ssi on a continual basis, even with specifying say an ".shtml"
> extension. Plus, the concern about enabling this for such limited use.

> Anyway, if we could do this via the CMS for "occasional" news items, ti
> would be better I guess.

Exactly. Just edit a news.xml file and setup the CMS to use xsltproc.

> More investigation needed...

Please see my response in the consultants thread. This has almost the whole explanation. Additional
information pertinent to both threads:

(1) templates/html_fragment.html

A new template is required for generated html fragments.

The headers.divid can be injected in (3) below.

(2) lib/path.pm

Has name to lib/view.pm proc and templates/ mappings for different file types. XSLT types
will need to be added. (Also for consultants.xml)

our @patterns = (
    [qr!doctype.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "doctype.html" }],
    [qr!brand.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "brand.html" }],
    [qr!footer.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "footer.html" }],
    [qr!topnav.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "navigator.html" }],
    [qr!leftnav.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "navigator.html" }],
    [qr!rightnav.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "navigator.html" }],
    [qr!\.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "single_narrative.html" }],
    [qr!\.html$!, html_page => { template => "html_page.html" }],
    [qr!\.htm$!, html_page => { template => "html_page.html" }],
) ;

Add something like the follwoing to convert an xml into an html file to be included via ssi.

    [qr!news.xml$!, news_page => { template => "html_fragment.html" }],

Add something like the following to convert an xml into a full site page.

    [qr!consultatnts.xml$!, consultants_page => { template => "html_page.html" }],

(3) lib/view.pm

news_page and consultants_page are new procedures. See xsltproc information on the other thread.

Regards,
Dave