incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Juergen Schmidt <>
Subject Re: Duplicate code in module binfilter [was: Re: svn commit: r1379349 - in /incubator/ooo/trunk/main: offapi/com/sun/star/sheet/ offapi/type_reference/ oox/inc/oox/xls/ oox/source/xls/ sc/inc/ sc/source/core/data/ sc/source/core/tool/ sc/source/filte
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2012 04:41:07 GMT
Am Donnerstag, 6. September 2012 um 06:14 schrieb Andrew Douglas Pitonyak:
> On 09/04/2012 03:49 AM, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
> > On 9/4/12 3:42 AM, Lei Wang wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > So we have plan to remove import/export code from application
> > > modules(sw,sc,sd...) and implement import/export function in binfilter. Is
> > > there any document about this feature? What's the current status ?
> > >

> > no, the plan is more to drop the older binary formats and to drop the
> > ugly binfilter module. I think a good candidate for this drop is the
> > next major version.
> >
> > This is of course a change where people will have different opinions on
> > it. But I personally see no real problem, the code becomes smaller, the
> > officer becomes smaller and the old formats can be migrated by an
> > existing version, for example AOO 3.4.
> >
> > The default is ODF and most users don't use the older binary formats.
> > But again these formats can be migrated with existing and still
> > available older version of the office.
> >
> > We should start a new thread to discuss this drop of binfilter for the
> > next major version.
> >
> I have some old files that I had no reason to touch for many years, and
> now, I no longer have a program that can touch them..... So the files
> are pretty much orphaned.

It is not yet removed and when we remove it, it will be explained what it means. Older versions
can be still used to convert the files.
Yes it will be a one time conversion but I think that is ok. We have to look forward and have
to reduce complexity. The code have to be maintained.

> So that is what we will do with the older OOo file formats? I just want
> to be clear that I need to find these files ands  then manually convert
> all of them before support is dropped. I don't like writing my own
> extractors from scratch, but I have done it before. Usually to help some
> family member that I can't say no to that has old files in some format
> that they just procrastinated on and the old program just stops working
> on their new platforms (or something equally as strange).

You can help to explain if necessary because you understand the reasons that are discussed
here on the list.
End user support for this kind of changes are important via the forum, user mailing lists
or other channels.

Nevertheless do we have to look forward and should drop really old stuff that makes more problems
and blocks innovation than it helps.