incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <>
Subject Re: Amazon Download of Apache OpenOffice 3.4
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2012 21:07:13 GMT

On 12-09-19, at 03:10 , Issac Goldstand <> wrote:

> On 17/09/2012 19:01, Dave Fisher wrote:
>> On Sep 15, 2012, at 12:45 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>> 8. Going through the one-click purchase of the $0.00 software, I was not sent the
executable.  Instead, I was sent an "Amazon OpenOffice 34 by Apache" downloader executable.
 I ran it.  It is a simple dialog with a progress bar, the gull button, and a message that
the item can be downloaded again from my software library. It downloads the software.  It
doesn't say where.
>> This name is a branding issue that must be fixed immediately.
>> This should probably be handled by Shane as VP of branding.
> I kinda  doubt it.  Shane can correct me if I'm way off here, but
> remember that the Apache license explicitly permits redistribution of
> software, so in general you have 2 big categories of downloads:
> 1) Folks redistributing the exact artifacts calling the "Apache
> OpenOffice" - while this is technically a trademark infringement, the
> nature of channels which would distribute like this is usually not
> something that the foundation and/or project would be overly concerned
> about; after all, it's just like another mirror - it's still the exact
> same software in the same box (or close enough to not matter, although
> packaging changes would certainly be a valid reason for concern), so the
> worst that would normally happen there is a slap on the wrist if they
> don't have the correct trademark notices on the page, and we noticed it.
> 2) Folks redistributing the exact artifacts or modified artifacts
> calling them something other than "Apache OpenOffice" (or other
> trademarks that we own, like old OOo trademarks), in which case the
> license also permits it, since they're not claiming to "be" AOO
> (although use of *our* gulls can be an issue)..  This covers all of the
> eBay offers, all of the bundled download offers, and whatever else might
> annoy us.  I'm pretty sure that such artifacts can be "based on AOO" or
> "Powered by AOO" or the like, too, without any issue, as long as there's
> a correctly worded trademark notice for Apache and AOO alongside it...
> </IANAL>
>  Issac

Well, these points are fairly self-evident and stuff that's common: that's good. But where
then do we stand now with Amazon downloads? Or for that matter, say other "app marketplace"

Put another way: Whose remit is this? Is this something that Apache does independent of AOO
or any other similar project, top level or no?
Or is it something that we, AOO(i), non-top level (albeit wishful), do in accordance with
Apache, so as to preserve trademark and copyright sanity and keep everyone more or less happy
or grumpy?

View raw message