incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: News article integration with home page
Date Sat, 29 Sep 2012 20:29:48 GMT

On Sep 29, 2012, at 1:24 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Sep 29, 2012, at 9:24 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
>> <arielch@apache.org>wrote:

>> Well it would be done with the CSS "frame" idea I mentioned.  So we could
>> limit the initial length. and basically enwble a scrolling like approach..
>>

>>> the main Apache site uses a module to generate the "News",
>>> http://openejb.apache.org/ too.
>>>

>> Ariel --
>>
>> Thanks for pointing this out. This approach was mentioned in that  same
>> chat I had concerning ssi, but I couldn't readily find any additional
>> information. So, I'll take a look when I get a moment.
>>
>> and ...
>>
>> @Dave, re ssi. I know we use these for the header portion but I also
>> realize this is a like a one time thing that basically only happens at site
>> build (commit, publish) and is not a continual dynamic parse like enabling
>> ssi for the site would be, right?
>
> Correct.
>
>> There seemed to be concern about the
>> overhead for ssi on a continual basis, even with specifying say an ".shtml"
>> extension. Plus, the concern about enabling this for such limited use.
>

>> Anyway, if we could do this via the CMS for "occasional" news items, ti
>> would be better I guess.
>
> Exactly. Just edit a news.xml file and setup the CMS to use xsltproc.
>

>> More investigation needed...
>
> Please see my response in the consultants thread. This has almost the whole explanation.
Additional information pertinent to both threads:

> (1) templates/html_fragment.html
>
> A new template is required for generated html fragments.

%}</div>

> The headers.divid can be injected in (3) below.
>
> (2) lib/path.pm
>
> Has name to lib/view.pm proc and templates/ mappings for different file types. XSLT types
will need to be added. (Also for consultants.xml)

> our @patterns = (
>    [qr!doctype.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "doctype.html" }],
>    [qr!brand.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "brand.html" }],
>    [qr!footer.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "footer.html" }],
>    [qr!topnav.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "navigator.html" }],
>    [qr!leftnav.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "navigator.html" }],
>    [qr!rightnav.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "navigator.html" }],
>    [qr!\.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "single_narrative.html" }],
>    [qr!\.html$!, html_page => { template => "html_page.html" }],
>    [qr!\.htm$!, html_page => { template => "html_page.html" }],
> ) ;
>
> Add something like the follwoing to convert an xml into an html file to be included via
ssi.

>    [qr!news.xml$!, news_page => { template => "html_fragment.html" }],

Of course it would probably easiest to create news.mdtext and add

   [qr!news.mdtext$!, single_narrative => { template => "navigator.html" }],

Set the divid in news.mdtext for the css class for the overall news div.

Regards,
Dave