incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moderating ooo-private
Date Sat, 15 Sep 2012 21:51:11 GMT

On 12-09-15, at 11:34 , "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:

> With regard to inappropriate messages to ooo-private, I agree that it is a good idea
to provide better information and to discourage the use of ooo-private for this kind of traffic.
 I think one problem is that some folks want their request to be personal and all think they
are (or want to be) reaching a support organization.

yes.

> I conducted an experiment to see how the list rejects messages.  The bounce I received
is the message immediately below.  The original request to ooo-private was returned in an
attachment.  That is attached to this message but I don't know that it will be preserved on
ooo-dev.  What that message is like is posted below the Rejection Message.

Peter can probably speak to this, too, but when I was doing this kind of list and many others
at OOo, I received routinely a lot of posts to webmasters@, usually by people wanting to communicate
with a Turing-competent entity, like me, or even better.  They reached that list/alias via
contacts@. No matter what we wrote on that page, no matter how they were redirected to the
Support page—no matter what, short of Moses and some tablets—they did what I do when confronted
with voicemail and sought humanity in an electron.

So it goes.

Lesson: live with it but try all the same.

Louis

> - Dennis

boilerplate could be helpful in directing users with problems to an appropriate place where
they are likely to receive assistance.

rejection messages are.  Please reject this message.  Please use the %%% markers and add a
statement to the rejection message.