incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][PMC] Proposed PMC List
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 15:23:07 GMT

On 12-09-19, at 10:05 , Jürgen Schmidt <> wrote:

> On 9/19/12 3:56 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>> I would agree with Peter's list but would ask that Ian Lynch be considered. Here's
why: Whom do we have speaking on behalf of education and ecosystem development? As I'm not
on this list—and I'm not suggesting I ought to be—I think that someone like Ian, who's
work is so involved with OO and has been—would provide good insight into how what is done
at Apache OO affects the ecosystem as a whole.
> I would first suggest that you and Ian read how the proposal of Andrew
> was intended to work ;-)

I read it. I find some problems with it. Namely, momentum in threads tends to prevail over
nuance and history. There is opacity here as to how these names were suggested, what they
mean, how they are supposed to change over time. Andrew's long proposal was just that, a proposal.
A better method I'd suggest, if we want to put names up, is to use a wiki, or some other mechanism
that foregrounds history, motive, idea.

> And I am not sure or better don't understand the relation of your
> comment to the membership in the PMC. It is not directly related to each
> other and can be of course done independently.

I'll be clearer in future. But for now, I've misgivings over this process and do not like
it nor do I believe as such it serves the AOO community well. I think one that reflects the
points I mentioned above is better, but am always open to learn of yet better ways.

> Juergen
>> Louis
>> On 12-09-19, at 03:40 , Peter Junge <> wrote:
>>> Here's my list of 10:
>>> Andrew Rist (arist)
>>> Ariel Constenla-Haile (arielch)
>>> Donald P. Harbison (dpharbison)
>>> Jürgen Schmidt (jsc)
>>> Kazunari Hirano (khirano)
>>> Pedro Giffuni (pfg)
>>> Raphael Bircher (rbircher)
>>> RGB.ES (rgb-es)
>>> Yang Shih-Ching (imacat)
>>> Yong Lin Ma (mayongl)
>>> (Would have been easier if I were allowed to name 5 or 6 more)

View raw message