incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <rabas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Code of Conduct
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2012 08:04:00 GMT
On Sep 10, 2012, at 7:52 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a code of conduct here: http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/list-conduct.html
>
> These are the community's code and we should all agree to abide by the code. Maybe there
is some more work to do exposing the code. Maybe the  code needs to be modified.

I believe we discussed that text for several weeks. It started on the
wiki. I eventually moved it onto the website.   But it was written in
the form of guidelines. You would probably need to reword them if you
wanted to have an enforceable "code".

> Graduation requires the project to be self-governing. What do people think? I think we
should discuss a few topics.

I think it is possible to be self-governing while still being
tolerant.   Remember the community - if healthy - is constantly
growing. So we want to be primarily ruled by common sense coupled with
tolerance.   It would be interesting to see if any other Apache
project thought that having more than list guidelines was necessary.

> (1) What are the consequences of breaking the code of conduct?
>
> - Loss of merit in the community including the possibility of losing any karma in the
project. Karma is the ability to make commits.

I think that confuses the Committer and PMC member roles.  We probably
should have coding guidelines that cover the things that cause karma
to be lost.   For example repeated breaking of the build could lead to
losing karma.

> - Banning from the list. Moderators will need to treat offenders like spammers.

I don't believe moderators have this technical ability, at least not
as ezmlm roles are currently configured.

> (2) Who is responsible for enforcing the code?
>
> - it should be enforced by anyone who sees it happening. In most cases a reminder will
be enough.

> - what if they won't stop? who is next? If the PPMC is working it should be noticed,
but if not then probably a note to ooo-private.

You are assuming the existing guidelines are self-interpreting. They
are not. They are fuzzy and broad. Not a bad thing for guidelines. But
you'll run into problems if you try to treat them as if they had a
hard edge that "anyone who sees it happening" can apply.

> (3) How do we expose the code?
>
> - we have unsubscribe links on ooo-users, we could add a link to the policy.
>
> (4) Should we update the code?
>
> - the code should be edited to include the information decided for (1) and (2)
>
> - anything else?

5. What lists does this apply to?

6. What about Apache Members and ASF Officers?  Are they subject to
the same "enforcement" as other community members?