incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: What is a good Project Management Committee member?
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2012 05:42:20 GMT

On Sep 6, 2012, at 7:26 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2012, at 1:17 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> +1.
>>>
>>> I will go further and state that I don't believe that this project is
>>> quite there yet.
>>
>> While the playing together metaphor is great, the orchestra metaphor breaks because
there is no conductor and no first chairs.

> There are orchestras without conductors as well, e.g. the Orpheus
> Ensemble.   And I don't think sectional leaders are a problem, so long
> as it is not exclusionary, e.g., your initial work on ooo-site
> demonstrates leadership (taking the lead) of a kind that requires
> neither votes nor titles.  In other words, where coordination is
> required in a given task beyond a given level of complexity it is
> natural that leadership emerges.

Thanks, and nothing would make me happier than a contributor appearing who wanted to take
the lead. I would gladly show them all I know just like Joe did for me.

I am very glad that there are many committers working on the website and that it has become
one way that we are growing the community.

>> Perhaps a better musical metaphor to aspire to might be Robert Fripp's The League
of Crafty Guitarists [1] I hadn't thought of them for awhile, but I saw them live about 25
years ago. A big circle of guitarists sharing and passing on riffs.

Here the emphasis is on observation and passing the lead. The guitar players are in a circle
and are watching each other.

Regards,
Dave