incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: LICENSE text in the user interface
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2012 00:53:52 GMT

On Sep 26, 2012, at 7:12 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 8:59 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 26, 2012, at 5:30 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Joost,

>>> Thanks for the information, I wasn't aware of that requirement. The
>>> LICENSE and the NOTICE are included without translation, so this leaves
>>> only the README, which is actually translated; the HTML version could be
>>> displayed in the default system browser.
>>
>> I don't think that legal text is translated at The ASF. As I understand it the AL2
is fundamental and is NOT to be translated.

>> Please raise the French legal issue on the legal-discuss <AT> a.o mailing list.
>>

> This question is covered in the following FAQ:
>
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#Translation

Thank you. This means that translations of the AL2 portion of the LICENSE should be followed
by the translated disclaimer that the English version is "proper" and then the official version
- AL2 text.

As for the other licenses that follow the AL2. INAL and won't interpret what is required by
other entities. Don't translate unless the due diligence is done.

Regards,
Dave

PS. The term "convenience of understanding" license is an interesting concept.