incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Regina Henschel <>
Subject Re: [Call For UI Review] About the attribute list level of paragraph style
Date Sat, 29 Sep 2012 22:04:41 GMT
Huaidong Qiu schrieb:
> Hi all,
> I need some advice from the UI expert about the list
> level attribute of Numbering Enhancement feature.
> I need a UI to link a numbering level of a list style to a paragraph style.
>   I want add a list box control into the "Options" tab page of the
> "Numbering style" dialog.
> The steps to open this tab page are:
> 1. New a writer document.
> 2. press F11 open the "Style and Formatting" dialog.
> 3. choose the "list style" tab page
> 4. open context menu by left click on the tab page, select "new..." menu
> item
> 5. select the "Options" tab page of the "Numbering style" dialog.
> Here is a changed UI screen shot, I put this picture into the wiki page for
> this feature
> here is the wiki page for the Numbering Enhancement feature
> Thanks

I have looked at your proposal. I think, that it does not work as
intended in the ODF specification. In section 19.495 "style:list-level"
there is "The style:list-level attribute specifies the list level value
of a list style that may be applied to any paragraph style." When you
put a paragraph style into the list style definition, then the part "may
be applied to _any_ paragraph style" is not possible.

Currently it is possible to specify a "numbering style" in the tab
"Outline & Numbering" of the paragraph style, but it is not yet possible
to say, which level of the style definition is to be used. You need to
set the numbering level explicitly for each single paragraph, which has
assigned this paragraph style.

With the list-level attribute one says, that the paragraph, to which
this paragraph style is applied, should get the list-level, which is
given in this paragraph style.

So in my understanding, the paragraph style should get an additional
field to select the list-level of the list style, which is chosen in the
drop-down list "Numbering Style". The list style UI remains as it is.

When such a paragraph style is applied to a concrete paragraph, the
specified level of this list style is applied to the paragraph

In addition there is the text "It does not directly specify the
paragraph's list level value, but consumers can change the paragraph's
list level value to the specified value when the paragraph style is
applied." in the ODF specification.
Therefore the list level of the concrete paragraph is not bound to the
list-level attribute in the paragraph style, but it's value can be set
hard in the properties of the paragraph and applying a paragraph style
gives only a start value of the list level value of the concrete paragraph.
Further there is no paragraph style in text boxes.
So it might be useful, to add a field for the list level in the
paragraph property dialog too. Currently the list level can be set only
with some demote/promote actions.

Kind regards

View raw message