incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Call for comments: Webpage for Listing OpenOffice Consultants
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2012 21:40:58 GMT
On 26/09/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Draft+--+Apache+OpenOffice+Consultants+Directory
> I'm working on the XSLT script now.  Looking good so far.

Nice. From what I see, reusing it to rebuild the consultants page in the
Italian website (the one Roberto was talking about) would require almost
no changes, right? Then we could use the same technology to revive that
page too, or actually rebuild it from scratch, since it was already so
outdated that we had removed the most prominent links to it. The XML
schema would stay the same (i.e., use English names for elements),
translating it would be an unnecessary burden.

> 5) Once approved, we go live.  The legacy project buried this under
> the "support" page, but I think we should offer a more prominent
> location, perhaps a link on the home page.

The recommendations at http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/linking
ask to avoid "prominent links to third party services or products on the
homepage", but since the homepage link will lead to the listing, and the
listing will still be on our site and will contain a well-crafted
disclaimer, I see no problems with it.

> Note: this same approach (Submission instructions page + XML/XSLT to
> generate user-facing XHTML page) would also work very nicely for a CD
> Distributor listing page.  It should be possible to copy this
> approach

Indeed.

Regards,
   Andrea.