incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: News article integration with home page
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2012 17:12:17 GMT
Thanks for this feedback Rob...good observations to say the least...see
inline

On 09/27/2012 05:57 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> Kay has started a page on the wiki to list possible areas where we can
> improve the website:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=30737243
>
> One of the ideas concerned the little news stories that we put on the home page.
>
> Since I think I'm the only one that has been maintaining this part of
> the website, let me explain how it works today, and why that sucks.
>
> When it comes time to add a new story I do the following:
>
> 1) Edit the home page via the CMS
>
> 1a) Add a new story at the top
> 1b) Remove the oldest story from the bottom and move it to another
> file, news/index.html
>
> (This is especially annoying because 1a and 1b are structured
> differently, so it is not a simple cut & paste)

I had explored recently the idea of just putting ALL the news items on
news/index.html and then just dumping that via ssi into that right
column with some appropriate formatting -- the css equivalent of frames.
Infra didn't seem too jazzed about enabling ssi for the site although I
see it's used to a certain extent in our headers (???). This would save
us the duplicate editing, moving etc.

> 2) Send summaries of the news story out via Twitter, Google+, Facebook, etc.
>
> We could probably do better than this.  For example we could do all
> news stories via our existing project blog.  That removes the need for
> a page of archival news stories, since Roller provides that.  We could
> retrieve and parse the RSS or Atom feed for the blog to populate the
> home page.  And there are services to autopost things to Twitter,
> etc., from a feed as well.
>
> Or this could be done from the other direction. We could do all short
> news items via Twitter and then just do a Twitter stream on the home
> page.
>
> Or we could have a feed XML that we check into SVN and display on home page.

This last one sounds promising...

> These are all variations of "one feed to rule them all".  There are
> several variations on this basic idea.
>
> Perhaps this would be an interesting small project for someone in the community?

Your ideas are good, and it would be great if someone could lead this
investigation.

> Regards,
>
> -Rob

MzK

"Just 'cause you got the monkey off your back
  doesn't mean the circus has left town."
                     -- George Carlin