incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Le Grand <Armin.Le.Gr...@me.com>
Subject Re: Did we ever reach consensus on support for Windows 2000
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2012 07:48:13 GMT
	Hi,

On 27.09.2012 23:50, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Keith N. McKenna
> <keith.mckenna@comcast.net> wrote:

snip

> Ah, I just had an idea.  Google Analytics tells us how many users are
> running Windows 2000.  It gets that info from the browser agent header
> in the HTTP requests.  If I look at all website visits since AOO 3.4.0
> was released the breakdown for Windows users is:
>
> 7	58.83%
> XP	29.74%
> Vista	10.31%
> NT	0.62%
> Server 2003	0.36%
> 2000	0.13%
> 98	0.01%
> ME	0.00%
> CE	0.00%
> (not set)	0.00%
> 95	0.00%
>
> So, 0.13% are running Windows 2000.

With that numbers I would propose to drop everything below 1%. We are
lucky, we do not need to *guess*, we have numbers. Thanks, Rob!

We have limited ressources and everything we try to keep alive costs
some of these (even if not always recognized, see binfilter discussions).

With limited ressources keeping this means to evtl. not do things which
would serve the other 99% better.

Drop it.

Just my 2 ct...

> When thinking of whether  we "support" a platform or not, a question
> to consider:  If a serious security flaw were found tomorrow that only
> impacted AOO 3.4.1 running on Windows 2000, would we drop everything
> to develop a patch?
>
> If not, then we don't really "support" a platform.  IMHO we need to be
> careful about how we put our name, brand and reputation behind the
> word "support".  If it means something at all it means that if we
> screw up the brand is hurt.  So we should only claim support for
> things that we are confident of.
>
> -Rob
>
>> Regards
>> Keith