incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Call for comments: Webpage for Listing OpenOffice Consultants
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2012 00:28:35 GMT
On 9/26/2012 4:58 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> Another one of those "larger ecosystem" things I'll be pushing on.
>
> If you recall the legacy OpenOffice.org project had a webpage that
> listed various consultants who provided services for OpenOffice.  We
> took it down because it was very out of date and we didn't have time
> (at that time) to figure out the policy implications and update the
> content.  Well guess what?  I have time now.
>
> ====> A draft of a proposed approach is on the wiki here:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Draft+--+Apache+OpenOffice+Consultants+Directory
> <====

I'd suggest folks read the draft-but-pretty-close document about Apache
Project Corporate Recognition Best Practices here when thinking about
how AOO wants to organize web pages like this:

   http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/linking

This is something that we haven't necessarily had a clearly written
policy for all projects in the past.  In fact, within basic trademark
and "projects must be independent" guidelines, there's a lot of room for
different projects to approach this (or not bother with it) in different
ways.

We've tried to lay out the basic issues in the page above, although I
know there are several areas that need better explanations, or that
we're missing some important point.

I think the key things are:

- Respect Apache marks fully (both by our projects, and others)

- Maintain the ASF's public charity mission; avoid appearances of
endorsement or affiliation

- Ensure the project is being managed independently, *and* that
independence is clear in public perception

- Be factual, relevant, fair, and consistent in how listings are
done/removed/etc.

Oh, and automating (yay XSLT!) pages like this will be a big win for
maintenance.

- Shane