incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Call for comments: Webpage for Listing OpenOffice Consultants
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2012 22:59:21 GMT
see inline below...

On 09/26/2012 02:25 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Donald Whytock <dwhytock@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Still suggesting some sort of expiration mechanism (perhaps a
>>> timestamp in the entry, with a scheduled job to prune), so this
>>> doesn't become a barnacle colony.
>>>

>> One policy might be that once a year (or quarter or whatever) we
>> verify that the listed homepage and email address are still valid.
>> Ones that fail are removed.  Of course they could be re-added if the
>> resubmitted.  This is an easy-enough task if we have a listing of 20
>> consultants.  Less so with 200.  Maybe could be automated.
>>

> Dennis will like this.  Just thought of a "poka-yoke" approach to
> identifying obsolete listings.  Simply require that the logo be hosted
> by the listed company.  That way, if the company moves on, there is a
> good chance that the image link will break as well and this will be
> obvious when looking at the listings.

Yes, this is a very good idea!

>> Auto-expiration could work as well, but we'd probably want to automate
>> a reminder courtesy note.
>>
>> This is not something we need to decide right now, except maybe to say
>> in the submission policy document that listings may be deleted if they
>> cease to be relevant, e.g., contact information becomes invalid, etc.
>>
>>> Don

Why do you think this is desirable? Yeah, I remember we had this under a
"Commercial Support" heading or something like that on the "Support" page.

Maybe augmenting the current "Help" link (3rd down) with some additional
wording as to what kinds of support folks might find *on* the Support
page, and then just putting it back there? Right now it's pretty vague.

MzK

"Just 'cause you got the monkey off your back
  doesn't mean the circus has left town."
                     -- George Carlin