incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <>
Subject Re: Change of 'soffice' name
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2012 16:22:14 GMT
RGB ES wrote:
> +1. At least on Linux, the "conflict" between AOO and LibO comes from
> distro packaging: you can install both, AOO and the official LibO side by
> side without problems.

Indeed. And since it's a packaging problem, distributions should take
care of it. The "alternatives" system should be implemented more or less
in all distributions already, so it could be used to allow users to
switch the "soffice" alias (although I would find it reasonable to keep
it for OpenOffice, but distributions will have their reasons).

> Just for curiosity: is it possible to put a second launch script, so you
> can start the program with both, soffice and, for example, aoo?

It is, but it would be an extra one, in addition to soffice. "ooffice"
would be a natural candidate (besides being the name that some
distributions had already adopted when repackaging OpenOffice).

View raw message