incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Change of 'soffice' name
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2012 07:02:20 GMT
On 9/26/12 8:48 AM, Joost Andrae wrote:
> Hi Alexandro,
>
> soffice is an established file name for the binary. If there is a clash
> with LO's naming scheme then why should AOO change the name? It's LO
> that abandoned the name OpenOffice....
> And if you take a look at the naming scheme of the API sun/star/... this
> is something you cannot change that easily.
>
> Kind regards, Joost

the point is simply that more stuff and functionality is depending on
this name. And if we consider to change it we have to collect all this
stuff first and should work on a reliable migration plan.

I see at the moment no pressure to work on this and we have much more
important things to do. But feel free to start and keep us informed. And
before we do any real changes on the name in the code please inform us
about your finding and the migration plan. It's important that we don't
break things and avoid confusion where possible.

Juergen