incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Reizinger Zoltán <zreizin...@hdsnet.hu>
Subject Re: Some stats and observations on OpenOffice upgrades
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2012 05:11:40 GMT
2012.09.25. 21:06 keltezéssel, Rob Weir írta:
> I've been looking at the upgrade numbers, the downloads that are
> triggered from upgrade notifications in the OpenOffice client.
> Although we are not tracking how many times such notifications pop up
> in the OpenOffice client we do know from Google Analytics how many
> users click the link to get more information on the update, and how
> many of these users actually download the upgrade.
>
> The trends have been pretty steady, a slight peak when a release is
> initially made, but a lingering steady state of upgrade requests even
> several weeks later.
>
> For example, let's look at the status for a single day, last
> Wednesday, Sept. 19th.
>
> On that date we had 164,752 total downloads of AOO.  Of those
> downloads, it looks like 54% of them come from upgrading users.  The
> remainder are either from new users, or existing users that went to
> the website directly rather than from an upgrade notification.  (No
> easy way of distinguishing these two).
>
> The interesting thing is the breakdown by OpenOffice client version.
>
> For the upgrade installs on Sept 19th we see:
>
> 31% of upgrades were from AOO 3.4.0
>
> 52% of upgrades were from OOo 3.3.0
>
> 15% of upgrades were from OOo 3.2.1
>
> 3% of upgrades were from OOo 3.2.0
>
> Note the OOo 3.3.0 numbers.  Nearly 4 months after AOO 3.4 was
> released we are still getting large numbers of OOo 3.3.0 users
> receiving and responding to upgrade notifications, nearly 20,000/day.
>
> I'm not sure how to explain this.  Upgrade notifications should
> surface once a week.
>
> Maybe:
>
> A) Some users are sporadically connected to the internet and the
> upgrade check rarely is successful
>
> B) Some users ignore/defer the upgrade notifications until a later
> time, in some cases months later
Some features not supported in AOO 3.4.x especially, the report builder
not developed any more,
and Base users meet problems with reports containing charts.
For this reason they after upgrade to AOO 3.4.x downgrade back az least
one computer in companies
to OOo 3.3 for report creating, and not care about update warning.
And waiting for solution, and we can not provide them real solution,
It is from forum posts (LibO no solutions for them, because their report
builder has different bugs,
which prevent from daily work.)
Zoltan