incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <>
Subject Re: Some stats and observations on OpenOffice upgrades
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 23:25:25 GMT

On 09/25/2012 12:06 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> I've been looking at the upgrade numbers, the downloads that are
> triggered from upgrade notifications in the OpenOffice client.
> Although we are not tracking how many times such notifications pop up
> in the OpenOffice client we do know from Google Analytics how many
> users click the link to get more information on the update, and how
> many of these users actually download the upgrade.
> The trends have been pretty steady, a slight peak when a release is
> initially made, but a lingering steady state of upgrade requests even
> several weeks later.
> For example, let's look at the status for a single day, last
> Wednesday, Sept. 19th.
> On that date we had 164,752 total downloads of AOO.  Of those
> downloads, it looks like 54% of them come from upgrading users.  The
> remainder are either from new users, or existing users that went to
> the website directly rather than from an upgrade notification.  (No
> easy way of distinguishing these two).
> The interesting thing is the breakdown by OpenOffice client version.
> For the upgrade installs on Sept 19th we see:
> 31% of upgrades were from AOO 3.4.0
> 52% of upgrades were from OOo 3.3.0
> 15% of upgrades were from OOo 3.2.1
> 3% of upgrades were from OOo 3.2.0
> Note the OOo 3.3.0 numbers.  Nearly 4 months after AOO 3.4 was
> released we are still getting large numbers of OOo 3.3.0 users
> receiving and responding to upgrade notifications, nearly 20,000/day.
> I'm not sure how to explain this.  Upgrade notifications should
> surface once a week.
> Maybe:
> A) Some users are sporadically connected to the internet and the
> upgrade check rarely is successful
> B) Some users ignore/defer the upgrade notifications until a later
> time, in some cases months later
> C) Some user run OpenOffice rarely, sometimes at an interval of several months
> D) Someone, some web site, some organization, etc., is still
> distributing 3.3.0 to users, and after they install
> they get the AOO upgrade notification.
> If D), this is somewhat a concern, since users running OOo 3.3.0 are
> exposed to several security flaws.

You can also set the upgrade to "never check" and just do it manually.

Some may have set "never check" after the long period when there were no
upgrades, and they got tired of the start up lag time due to this

So, maybe some of these older ones just got wind of a new version from
friends or whatever, and decided to see what would happen.

Anyway, this is interesting. But maybe not terribly surprising. We're
likely to see (at least) more 3.2.0 folks trickle in for a while.

> -Rob

"Just 'cause you got the monkey off your back
  doesn't mean the circus has left town."
                     -- George Carlin

View raw message