incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] [PMC] Proposed PMC List
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 11:43:20 GMT
On 9/25/12 1:10 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Ross Gardler
> <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:

>>> IMHO this is a bad idea and if we go down this route it demonstrates
>>> that we do not understand The Apache Way.
>>
>> I don't think the idea of actively seeking broad representation is
>> necessarily counter to the Apache Way. It depends on exactly how that
>> representation is achieved.
>>

> Perhaps you missed my last paragraph where I talked specifically about
> seeking broad participation?
>
> The issue is not diversity.  In fact Roy has stated quite bluntly that
> diversity in itself is not an issue with graduation.  The issue is
> thinking of the PMC as a representative body, where participants
> "represent" some finer grained constituency and where the composition
> of the PMC is optimized to someone's view of what a proper
> distribution is, rather then on merit.  If it is wrong for someone to
> claim to "represent IBM" then it is equally wrong for someone to claim
> to "represent Asian women".  We participate as individuals.
>
> IMHO we should be hearing the word "representation" a lot less when
> describing the PMC.  It *is not* a representative body.  Individuals
> participate based on their own merit, not as representatives of some
> other group of interest.  We underestimate how radically different a
> meritocracy is if we do not grok this distinction.
>
> Or maybe you and Ian are using the word "representation" in some loose way?
>
> To note: the legacy OpenOffice.org project was representative, and
> some may be reverting to that mental model, of governance that had
> fixed set aside seats for specific representation, e.g., one person
> from the Calc project, one person from the NCL, one seat set aside for
> Sun, etc.
>
>>> The PMC *is not* representative. The PMC is inclusive of *all that
>>> show merit* for the things that the PMC is responsible for.  To have a
>>> PMC based on representation suggests that members are included for
>>> things other than merit, or that other potential members are excluded
>>> based on representation concerns regardless of their demonstrated
>>> merit.  Both are wrong.
>>
>> I agree both are wrong.
>>
>> On the other hand I really hope that Imacat and others seek to address
>> the issue of
>> inclusion of all. Such work is, in itself, worthy of merit yet is
>> often not recognised as such in software projects like those here in
>> the ASF.
>>

> Inclusion != a representative PMC.  Inclusion is about recruitment and
> ensuring that all merit is recognized.  It is not about quotas.

I believe that we are all on the same track here more or less and I hope
that we don't destroy this ongoing discussion on a PMC roster with too
much nit-picking.
The OpenOffice community had always a broader community and we welcome
anybody as community member, as committer or as PMC member over time. We
are open in all directions and the most important thing is that we drive
things forward and don't stand idle.

In the end we are mainly a software project. No software product means
no project, no community, no committers, no PMC. And we are trying to
address everything related to our project.

So please let us continue to work and finish the things that are
necessary to move forward. And any effort to grow in whatever direction
is welcome. Simply start doing it and ideally talk and report about it
that others have the chance to recognize it. I am a software developer,
believe that I can motivate people in a community, can spread my
knowledge about certain things but I am not a clairvoyant (as many
others as well). So visibility of what you are doing is somewhat
necessary to get recognition.

Juergen