incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] granting processes for fund allocation for ACEU 2012
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 08:31:39 GMT
Hi,

see below some important refinement and status report for the proposed granting
processes.

> Hi,
>
> I would like to discuss how the grainting processes for fund allocation for
> ApacheCon EU (ACEU) 2012 could work.
> Two processes are needed. One for granting travel expense subsidy and one for
> ticket discount for non-committers of the OpenOffice community.
>
> The goal is to reach (lazy) consensus on the granting processes in the next 72
> hours.
>
> Here are my ideas regarding such processes:
> (1) ticket discount for non-committers:
> - 30 x 100 EUR ticket discount for non-committers can be granted.
>
> - To apply for the ticket discount people should send post to ooo-private. The
> details should be:
> -- subject = [ACEU 2012 - ticket discount] <Name>
> -- content:
> --- full name
> --- email address
> --- affiliation to the OpenOffice community (something like: "user",
> "contributing X", "translator", ...)
> --- description why applying for the ticket discount and why support is needed.
> --- job or eduation status (something like: "student", "employee",
> "freeflancer", ...)
>
> - Announce on our mailing lists and in our forum that application process is
> open until <ending date> - <announcement date> should be at least 7 days
ahead
> of the <ending date>.
>
> - The small group of volunteers collect the applications. The group selects not
> more than 30 and post the decision details on ooo-private. The selection process
> should not take more than 2 days.
> The selection shall be based on the given description and the job/eduation status.
>
> - Send out corresponding notifications and details how to get the ticket discount.
>
> [Note: I will get in contact with ACEU 2012 planners, if it is possible to get a
> promotion code for our ticket discount.]
> [Another note: I will get in contact with treasurer@apache.org to assure ASF's
> charity status and clarify the actual spending of the money]

ACEU 2012 planners confirmed that a promotion code is possible. Waiting now for
final approval from ASF treasurer that this way of spending the money is ok.

> (2) travel expense subsidy for OpenOffice community members:
> - 10 x 300 resp. 600 EUR travel expense subsidy can be granted.
>
> - To apply for the travel expense subsidy people should send a post to
> ooo-private. The details should be:
> -- subject = [ACEU 2012 - travel subsidy] <Name>
> -- content:
> --- full name
> --- email address
> --- affiliation to the OpenOffice community (something like: "committer",
> "user", "contributing X", "translator", ...)
> --- Apache ID (if available)
> --- accepted or stand-by speaker at ACEU?
> --- description why applying for the travel expense subsidy and why support is
> needed.
> --- job or eduation status (something like: "student", "employee", "freelancer",
> ...)
> --- estimated travel expense
> --- estimated needed accommodation - # of nights
> --- other available funding (something like: "corporate", "ACEU - TAC", ...)
> --- applying for 300 EUR or 600 EUR?
>
> - Announce on our mailing lists and in our forum that application process is
> open until <ending date> - <announcement date> should be at least 7 days
ahead
> of the <ending date>.
>
> - The small group of volunteers collect the applications. The group selects not
> more than 10 and post the decision details on ooo-private. The selection process
> should not take more than 3 days.
> The selection should consider the following:
> -- Application shall hold the following conditions, otherwise it is invalid
> --- no corporate funding and no TAC funding
> --- travel expense must be at least 300 EUR
> --- accommodation needed for at least 2 nights
> -- The selection shall be based on the given description and the job/eduation
> status.
> -- Applications are selected in the following order:
> --- invited (accepted or stand-by) speakers
> --- committers
> --- non-committers
>
> - Send out corresponding notifications and details how to get the ticket discount.
>
> [Note: I will get in contact with treasurer@apache.org to assure ASF's charity
> status and clarify the actual spending of the money.]

Taking the advice that the selection processes have to be traceable and
auditable I propose that the applications should be sent to ooo-dev and that
also the decision making and the final decision are done on ooo-dev, too.

Best regards, Oliver.