incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice Developer Room (devroom) at FOSDEM
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2012 19:32:35 GMT
Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
> On 12-09-24, at 10:52 , Rob Weir wrote:
>> Perhaps it could be de-politicized a little more if the request is
>> for an "ODF Editors" room, and do with multilateral, with LO,
>> Calligra, AbiWord, Gnumeric, etc.
> I'm all for that and tried that in 2011 but not this year (2012).

That would definitely be good for me too, and it's enough to declare in
our application that we are available for such a solution. Note that
there is no need for a joint proposal: FOSDEM organizers will collect
the applications and, based on them, propose to co-organize the
devrooms, see https://fosdem.org/2013/call_for_devrooms.html

Going on, this is the request I would send, posted here for corrections
and lazy consensus. Note: the "Saturday" choice below is totally arbitrary.
    ---
* Devroom name: Apache OpenOffice

* Description

Apache OpenOffice, formerly known as OpenOffice.org, is one of the most
popular Free and Open Source software projects. The project, hosted by
the Apache Software Foundation since June 2011, had two successful
releases in 2012, with more than 16 million downloads in 4 months.
OpenOffice is developed by a large and diverse community, including
full-time and part-time core developers, translators, testers, user
experience experts, documentation contributors, developers of
third-party extensions and templates.

* Project URLs
- http://www.openoffice.org
- http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/

* Preferred day: Saturday or Sunday
- Saturday

* Why should FOSDEM accept this proposal?

After a period of reorganization at Apache, the OpenOffice project
managed to come back to a regular release schedule, is attracting new
volunteers and is now able to successfully engage them. Recent
contributions, like the donation of the Lotus Symphony code by IBM,
provide interesting challenges for new developers, and there are a lot
of tasks available for non-developers too.

An Apache OpenOffice devroom would allow existing volunteers to meet and
discuss future developments, and users and potential new volunteers to
learn how they can help the project, thanks to presentations and
hacking sessions spanning a broad range of topics.

The Apache OpenOffice project is definitely willing to consider a
possible suggestion by the organizers for a joint "ODF editors" devroom,
dedicated to Apache OpenOffice and to the other Free and Open Source
editors using OpenDocument as their native format.
    ---

> The issue: who wants to own this? I have done that and worked with
> fosdem for several years, as has Juergen, to whom I handed off the
> task back in 2008 or 2009.

I just want to make sure we submit our application in time. I wrote the
draft above so that we have a concrete basis for discussion, and I'll
likely attend FOSDEM, as I've done quite regularly in recent years.

If nobody else steps up, I'll send the application after we have
consensus on it, but if anybody else wants to take over from now on,
it's absolutely OK for me, provided we meet the deadlines, i.e., we send
the application this week.

Regards,
   Andrea.