incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [User Docs] What do we as a community want for user documentation or AOO
Date Sun, 23 Sep 2012 17:06:30 GMT

On 09/22/2012 04:42 PM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
> Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>> I am not clear what the lazy consensus is about.
>>
>> Clearly, there is no restriction on anyone contributing to User
>> Guides for Apache OpenOffice on ODFAUthors, beyond the
>> terms/conventions/what-ever that apply to contributions there.
>>
>> So I suppose what is being asked for is consensus that there will
>> not, at this time, be any separate effort inside of the Apache
>> OpenOffice project and the project will look to relying on the
>> ODFAuthors site for emergence of updated User Guides.  Contributions
>> should be made there.
>>
>> In other words, there won't be any forking of ODFAuthors work into
>> the project.  I assume that means avoidance of duplicate effort as
>> well.
>>
>> I'm aligned with that direction.
>>
>> - Dennis
>>
> First of all let me apologize if either my as yet limited understanding
> of "The Apache Way" or my sometimes terse writing style added to any
> confusion.
>
> My intention was to seek lazy consensus o Scenario 2 rom the wiki page
> as the preferred way to go for getting an updated Getting Started Guide
> and or other documentation ready for the 3.5 release. The main reason I
> did it was because there was Option 1 which was to shelve it. It was in
> no way intended to cut off discussion of where we should go where we go
> with documentation for AOO version 4 as that is a major release and has
> the potential for major changes to the UI that may influence a
> re-evaluation of not only the structure of the documentation but also
> the presentation of it.
>
> I hope I have cleared up my intentions and again apologies or the
> inadvertent ailure to clearly communicate.

Keith --

I think what you did was fine. I just have one quick question on
Scenario 2. I know a lot of effort has already gone into the the User
Guide to Apache 3.4 by ODFAuthors. I remember seeing a comment/post from
someone which I can NOT now locate, that essentially said folks involved
with ODFAuthors were still very interested in this documentation but
that progress had languished due to to lack of leadership -- i.e.
someone from the AOO "team" to move this along?

Is this an accurate statement? If it is, assuming you will now head up
this effort, I think your recommendation on Scenario 2 is fine and I'm
sure the current writers at ODFAuthors would be happy to see us progress
with the existing drafts.

I truly appreciate your efforts in all this.

>> -----Original Message----- From: Keith N. McKenna
>> [mailto:keith.mckenna@comcast.net] Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2012
>> 07:47 To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org Subject: Re: [User Docs] What
>> do we as a community want for user documentation or AOO
>>
>> Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>>> Greetings All;
>>>
>>> In order to stimulate some discussion on user documentation I have
>>> added the hollowing page to the User Documentation Plan on the
>>> Plannig Wiki:
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/User+Guides+Revisted.
>>>

> It offers 3 scenarios or the creation of the docs. I believe that we can
>>> no longer put this issue aside.
>>>
>>> Please take a look at the page and feel free to comment there and
>>> on this list. Also feel free to add to or change any content
>>> there.
>>>
>>> Regards Keith N. McKenna
>>>

>> Based on the discussion in this thread and on the wiki page it
>> appears for the short term that Scenario 2 is the best way to go. At
>> this point I would like to ask for lazy consensus to use ODFAuthors
>> site and the 3.4 documents already there to create and publish
>> updated documentation. I will leave this open until 2012-09-26 at
>> 05:45 UTC.
>>
>> Regards Keith N. McKenna

MzK

"Just 'cause you got the monkey off your back
  doesn't mean the circus has left town."
                     -- George Carlin