incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: What is a good Project Management Committee member?
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2012 23:17:13 GMT

On Sep 6, 2012, at 5:42 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 11:30 PM, Rob Weir <rabastus@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Think of an orchestra. We don't expect every player to play every
>> instrument. But we do expect a musicianship, the ability to play your
>> part well and in a way that fits with the others, knowing that you
>> might have a solo sometimes, but at other times you might be playing
>> harmony or even have a rest.
>
> +1.
>
> I will go further and state that I don't believe that this project is
> quite there yet.

While the playing together metaphor is great, the orchestra metaphor breaks because there
is no conductor and no first chairs.

Perhaps a better musical metaphor to aspire to might be Robert Fripp's The League of Crafty
Guitarists [1] I hadn't thought of them for awhile, but I saw them live about 25 years ago.
A big circle of guitarists sharing and passing on riffs.

Regards,
Dave

[1] http://www.thelcg.net/music.html